Corruption question

Go down

Corruption question

Post by Gsedg on Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:11 am

Here's something I'm wondering--and there's a lot of story to it, but in the interest of time, I'll just get to the guts of it.
If the adventurers capture a criminal--who is a dwarf, but, yes, like Grima or a few other LOTR characters, he has been deeply corrupted--would the adventurers gain corruption/shadow/etc. if they kill him after capture? Combat is done--the fighting is over. What if they don't kill him but send him to a likely death? (Here, you're disarmed and sent back into the spider-filled woods...)

Player's argument--during these sorts of times, criminals were usually just executed. So, it wouldn't be beyond normal behavior.
Loremaster's (that's me) response--during these times, criminals were usually brought to an authority figure who then executed, imprisoned, or exiled. And, in LOTR, I can't think of times when someone was killed outright after being caught.

Help?
and thanks.

Gsedg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Corruption question

Post by Wbweather on Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:45 pm

I would give out shadow points any time PC's kill someone outside of combat, especially when they could show mercy. Leaving the character to die might also give shadow points, depending on the situation. It is up to the GM to decide, but it is clear that killing and generally being cruel give players shadow.
Wbweather
Wbweather
Admin

View user profile http://cubicle7fans.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Láthspell on Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:39 am

Gandalf wrote:Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.

Shadow represents the corruption of the character's fëa (spirit or soul).  Your Players can and will attempt to rationalize any actions they take as being "for the greater good".  However, as far as a character's fëa is concerned, whether or not someone is deserving of death and punishment is ultimately irrelevant to the equation.  The fact of the matter is, if a character commits acts of cruelty and callousness, the more willing they will be to commit similar acts of callousness and cruelty in the future.

Gandalf wrote:Don't... tempt me, Frodo! I dare not take it. Not even to keep it safe. Understand, Frodo, I would use this Ring from the desire to do good. But through me, it would wield a power too great and terrible to imagine.

Now you may have players that argue that, releasing a villain or taking the villain to the proper authorities would mean that the villain may cause further harm.  While that may be a valid concern it doesn't change the act itself.  If the players believe that ending the life of an enemy or engaging in foul works is worth the shadow that they will incur, so be it, but act should carry the same penalty regardless of whether your action is against a fair elf or a foul orc.

Láthspell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down